Lorain County has made federal funds available to pay up to 50 percent of employee training costs for Lorain County businesses. This is an outstanding opportunity to reduce your employee training expenses.
Whether you need training in the new Microsoft Office suite, specialized technical training or anything in between, you may qualify for federal matching funds. To get started, just complete the online inquiry form or call (440) 284-1830. Please note that funds are limited, and not all applicants will qualify for this program.
The program is funded by the federal Workforce Investment Act (WIA) and administered by Lorain County’s Workforce Development Agency. The purpose of the program is to assist employers with certain expenses associated with skills upgrade training for full-time company employees.
Lorain County employee training funds are open to companies with facilities located in Lorain County that meet the guidelines listed below:
- Must be a for-profit business and have been in operation in Lorain County for a minimum of one year prior to application date
- Must have no more than 500 full-time employees
- Must demonstrate financial viability and must be current on all state tax obligations
- Must contribute a minimum of 50% of the cost of the requested project. Examples of employer contribution include, but are not limited to, instructors’ wages, tuition, curriculum development, materials/supplies; the use of space and equipment during the training project; and trainee wages of employees during training.
Priority will be given to businesses that meet one or more of the following:
- Clearly articulated growth strategies that rely significantly on improved technology;
Businesses with more than 50% of its revenues from goods and services for customers located outside of the region, or whose immediate customers sell their goods and services outside of the region.
- Applications which propose to provide additional training to professional or technical, or precision workers.
- Businesses that meet the definitions of Emerging Technology consistent with Ohio’s Third Frontier Initiative (Advanced Manufacturing Advanced Materials, Power & Propulsion, Instruments, Controls & Electronics, Bioscience, Information Technology).
Choose from a Wide Range of Training Providers
- Training may be provided through public or private educational institutions, private training organizations, trainers employed by the business, or a combination of training providers. Private postsecondary institutions and private training providers may be utilized only upon a review that includes, but is not limited to, accreditation and licensure and prior approval by the Lorain County’s Workforce Development Agency.
- Training that is eligible for the maximum 50% reimbursement includes vendor-specific training and any training provided by Lorain County Community College or the Lorain County Joint Vocational School.
- Training may be conducted at the business’s facility, at the training provider’s facility or at a combination of sites.
How the Program Works
- Due to demand and limited funding available, all applications will be evaluated to leverage other state, federal and private funds with Lorain County employee training funds.
- Businesses approved for funds enter into a contract with the Workforce Development Agency which commits the business to complete the training project as proposed in their application.
- Training for reimbursement under this grant cannot begin prior to the approval date and must becompleted within 6 months of the approval date.
Approved budget items are reimbursed upon presentation of documentation of the training and evidence that the expense was incurred.
- Documentation needs to be submitted at least 30 days prior to the targeted start date of training.
- Click here to view Training Application Form.
- Click here to view a list of eligible expenses.
To see how you can benefit from employee training funds, complete the online inquiry form or call (440) 284-1830. Please note that funds are limited, and not all applicants will qualify for this program.